Thursday, January 19, 2012

Would you trust a miata soft top that was bought from ebay?

There so inexpensive but I wanted to get another opinion. I live in SF and the softtops on Ebay and Amazon were $300 or less. Someone quoted me $1000 for the top and installation. But I want to buy my own top and then let him install.



Anyone buy the soft top from ebay or amazon before?Would you trust a miata soft top that was bought from ebay?
I have bought two soft tops for my Miata's off of e-bay (three window version's). They both came from the same vendor. I installed them myself.
So let me give you a two hints-
1. Get the cables.
2. Buy a new rain rail (some of the tops have these already attached).
I have read the Factory manual on how to replace a top, Haynes, the ones at
http://www.miata.net/, and the ones with the top/s. They all helped, but neither car had the factory tops and who ever put them back together did not do the job right.
So while I can not vouch for all the tops you will find on e-bay, the ones I bought were good.
If you have some time, a drill motor, pair of water pump pliers, pop rivet gun, a few sockets and the time you might want to do the job yourself.
Actually the top is small and single layer on a Miata, so about $300 it correct.

But installation is not that easy.

There may be sewing involved to attach to the end and the frames.

It also usually have to be stretched in some places and shrunk in other, with steamers.

It will still cost $500 for installation unless you think you can do it yourself?

You might be able to, but I would read up.Would you trust a miata soft top that was bought from ebay?
I would go look into the Miata you want a bit more, and you should ask the owner if you can go for a quick drive to check it out.If you think about a bit more, I suggest you go to a car cleaning place to make sure the old owner didn't leave any disgusting things behind.Your choice.
eBay isn't the issue. It's the soft top. Look into the quality and such and then decide based on the top, not eBay.



"Go with Old Man Dirt on this one." - I second this.Would you trust a miata soft top that was bought from ebay?
I wouldn't trust a miata. Period.
I would go with Old Man Dirt on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment