Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My wife wants to put a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata; can it pull a small utility trailer?

She wants to be able to have a Miata and still be able to use it for hauling bulkier stuff she buys from charity sales for interior decorating.My wife wants to put a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata; can it pull a small utility trailer?
In some countries the Miata is not legal for hauling trailers.

That said, I pulled a 14 foot row boat from Scottsbluff Nebraska to Peterstown WV using a 90 Miata. The trailer was made out of well casing and weighed more then the boat. No problems, the clutch needed to be replaced two years later (a total of 140K miles on the clutch, so I don't think the boat killed it). I also used a trailer to move spare engines using my Miata.

The hitch is common for those of us who want to stiffen the rear end a bit with out a fancy brace. Miatamania used to have them for some years.

How the trailer is loaded is very important, and it the user is not careful the clutch and rear suspension will be ruined.

You can get small assemble it yourself trailers from harbor freight. I think they also sell brake kits. You will need a wiring adapter to keep the lights working right also.My wife wants to put a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata; can it pull a small utility trailer?
I wouldn't trust a miata to pull anything over a few hundred pounds.

It's WAY too light, and a trailer is going to drag it around in any type of wind.

It also won't have the braking power to stop a trailer.My wife wants to put a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata; can it pull a small utility trailer?
hahahahahaha sorry I couldn't help it. I just pictured a miata pulling a camping trailer. she could maybe pull some light things. I've never seen a small trailer with brakes.
don't do it...lol

No comments:

Post a Comment