Saturday, January 14, 2012

How is the gas milage on miata's?

I absolutely LOVE the miata's and I was wondering how the gas milage is on them..How is the gas milage on miata's?
(New) EPA mileage on the 1996 I had is 21/26. The worst I EVER saw on a tank of mostly city driving was 27 mpg, however. (You don't need to wind it up to 5000 rpms at every stoplight...in fact, if you don't, you'll still be accelerating faster than most traffic, AND you'll get great mileage) The best I ever saw on an all-highway tank was 33 mpg. Typical mixed driving was 29-31.



The 2nd generation Miatas should be similar to that.



The 3rd generation has better EPA mileage, so I suspect it could do slightly better than what I got in my 1st gen.





Just remember, this is a car where mileage responds STARKLY to your driving style.





edit: The 6th gear ratio on the 6 speeds is almost exactly the same as the 5th gear ratio on the 5 speeds. The 6 speed transmission in a Miata is almost completely pointless.
New Miata's have 20 city and 17 hwy.How is the gas milage on miata's?
There great on gas as long as car is in good machanical condition. My dad ownes one to travel to and from work (well that was his excuse) and the gas milage is great but it is also a little light car.
I had a 2001 automatic and averaged 25.5 mpg. I now have a 2006 Miata with a 6 speed auto and I average about 28mpg. I absolutely love it.How is the gas milage on miata's?
My 97 gets about 25 mph combined. But after 99 they came with 6-speed transmissions. a 6 gear was really needed. Because at highway speed the motor is over-reving with the 5-speed. On the other hand you can drive all day in 4th gear at 30mph. No doubt the mileage is better with the 6-speed. The automatic would get less of course. Fun car. If you are planning on a manual, get the 6-speed.
My 2006 GT gets about 23-26 mpg avg. this is mostly local street and some traffic driving on the freeway. I think when i get about 23, I was driving harder (and having more fun). to keep MPG high, I short shift below 3,000.



Freeway milege is about close to 30.
Well my 1991 Miata gets 36 MPG in town and 40 MPG on the Hwy. I don't rev her and try to peel out at stop lights. I gradually accelerate vice lead foot it. I also keep the oil and air filter regularly changed. I also keep my tire inflated at their optimal range. I also use just regular gas. I know the 2nd and 3rd generation don't do as well on gas, but they are also much heavier as well. However, overall if you drive right and take care of your Miata it will get good gas mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment