Thursday, January 19, 2012

What is a fair price for replacing the timing belt and a 60 k mile service on a 2002 Mazda Miata?

Dealership quotes $850 and I was told that was ridiculous. I don't know where else to go, though. Help is appreciatedWhat is a fair price for replacing the timing belt and a 60 k mile service on a 2002 Mazda Miata?
$150 plus all parts involved. Be sure to use only genuine mazda parts and coolant!!!
Dealer service rates are usually the high water mark.



That said, on most cars you have to take off a lot of junk to get at it, then put it all back together (correctly......).What is a fair price for replacing the timing belt and a 60 k mile service on a 2002 Mazda Miata?
I don't know where they are getting their prices from at dealership this days. Since the belt should not take more than 3 hours to do by an amateur. Is not like in the olden days where the pulleys need to come out, most movement is mechanical and can simply slide the belt out on 100% of the vehicles that have belts. That is why you buy either a HONDA, TOYOTA, MITSUBISHI with belts because the Dealerships never overprice their replacement I have yet to see either one of these charge more than $500 for changing a belt that is including taxes and a premium wash Canadian too and when the dollar was lower than the US. Also I forgot to mention it includes the water pump as well something that should be changed when the timing belt is changed.
yeah, thats high, but thats the dealership for you...the belt itself costs about $40.00....its the labor thats the problem...they are probably charging you 7 hours at $100.00 a hour....ask a friend to refer a local shop and have them do it....What is a fair price for replacing the timing belt and a 60 k mile service on a 2002 Mazda Miata?
At least 4 hours shop rate and parts.

I haven't seen the flat rate books on this job, but it takes me six and I don't think I can beat the quoted hours in that book on any job.

There may be a non-Mazda shop in your area that is a one or two man operation that can do it for less. Some of these "Ma and Pa" operations are the best you will ever find (then again they can be the worst). But make sure that they know Miata's.

I used Olstens in Lincoln Ne, when I had a shop do my Miata some years back (It cost me 350). True I did not get the car back the same day, but I thought the price savings was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment