Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Is it true that for a Mazda Miata the only tires I can get are performance tires?

My husband just spent $800 in tires. He said that they are that expensive because they are performance tires. These tires will only last a year or less than that before needing replacement. So I am wondering if there is no other kind of tires he could had gotten that maybe are the same price but lasted longer?? It's for a 2000 Mazda MiataIs it true that for a Mazda Miata the only tires I can get are performance tires?
This is a vanity issue more then what the car has to have!

I always buy speed rated tires for my Miata cars (1990 models). I know this is a vanity issue for me, because I have no real need for 140 MPH tires, when the speed limit any place I go is never over 75 and most roads I drive are 55 or less.

Some drivers believe that the reason they can not go through a turn as fast as another is because they need better tires. Which most times is not the case.

I might suggest that you drop the subject, or get him into a safe place to learn what the car can do (like Solo II competitions that SSCA sponsors).
For all my tire questions, I do my research on Tirerack.com. It's a great place to see what's out there and they feature ratings on each tire from real consumers. And no, you can get all weather touring tires for your car, not just high end performance tires.Is it true that for a Mazda Miata the only tires I can get are performance tires?
Yes.

It is a sports car.



But there are cheap performance tires.



My performance tires cost $75 each and I think the are the exact same size as the Miata's tires.



That is because I bought generic brand tires from a brand called Laramie.



I did not buy the expensive known brands like BF Goodrich, Toyo, Yokahama, Pirelli, Firestone, Good year, Michelin, Hankook, or Nitto.
you dont need performance tires for it if its just a daily driver.....the only miata that well require performance tires is the mazda speed....the others wont need it unless you have moded the car...or you just drive it too hard...Is it true that for a Mazda Miata the only tires I can get are performance tires?
Assuming his car has the original wheels (14x6 or 15x6) then yes you can get tires that will last longer than "performance tires". There will be a trade off though, generally speaking tires that last longer don't have as much grip and aren't as responsive. I suspect his car has wheels other than stock if he spent $200 for each tire though...



Without knowing what wheels he has we can only offer very general comments. Post again with what size wheels (diameter and width) and we can offer more specific advice. It would be very helpful to know how the car will be driven - sedately or enthusiastically? daily driver or weekend fun? Any autocross or track driving?
True for performance tires. but next time get yours from the dealership.

I got mine from sears not performance ($450) but rides good and very little noise.



Also same with oil changes,, use what the owners manual suggest

5Wxx or your valves will chatter. use a diaper in the under cowling when changing oil or will have oil drip for several days. just let dealer ship do it not quick oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment