Saturday, January 14, 2012

What can i do to make a 1992 Mazda Miata MX-5 fast?

I am considering buying a 1992 Miata that needs some body work. I have to replace the hood, rh fender, and the bumper. I just want some suggestions on what i can do. I would like to get a turbo or super kit but I don't know what some good ones are. So any big or little suggestions would be great.What can i do to make a 1992 Mazda Miata MX-5 fast?
Hold down on the accelerator.What can i do to make a 1992 Mazda Miata MX-5 fast?
Grassroots motor sports has a few "Miata" projects, so read what they have done and why.

For reliable parts, stick to reliable companies. Miata Mania and Flying Miata come to mind right off the bat.

Some places to visit on the subject are:

http://www.miataturbo.net/

http://www.miata.net/index.html

As for my cars, nothing too radical (yet) light weight flywheel, 4-2-1 headers, mega flow cat and custom intake.

If Tony reads this, on the roads I drive that is enough to handle the Vetts and Porsche's as well as the Ricer groups. Try Banner Road (near Julian Calif.) or high way 243 into Idyllwild some time keeping it up to the posted limit. No speeding now, just do 55 mph all the way while staying on your own side of the road! Please don't, those roads kill!

But a turbo is coming, soon. Home made costs less, if I start over, the Flying Miata is the way I would go. I am not saving enough to justify the extra time on the project.

The best advice on things to get a Miata, I took to heart when I was given it, so I will pass it on to you- Upgrade the driver! Having a car that handles as well as it does needs a driver trained on what to do. Now of course there are the Skip Barber driving schools, but more affordable are those that the SCCA has for Solo II competition. Run a few and enjoy having a safe place to race.What can i do to make a 1992 Mazda Miata MX-5 fast?
See my other answer, regarding a rotary conversion, any other conversion is a waste of time and money



regards

Matt
Miata is a brilliant sports car, possibly one of the best ever made. There's a myriad of options for power, from modifying the stock engine, to engine swaps to larger 4 cylinders (mainly the 1.8 from newer Miatas) even on up to Ford 5.0L and 4.6L V8s. The places I would look would be flyinmiata.com and monstermiata.com. Flyin Miata makes some great turbo kits and even a stroker kit to make a 1.8L into a 2.0L capable of 500hp or more. In a 2500lb car, that's a LOT of power, but then again a rear wheel drive car that's 2500lbs will go 13s in 1/4 mile with about 250hp or maybe less. I would definitely go turbo, it's more liveable than a supercharger and capable of more power than any of the bolt on superchargers.
  • national tire and battery
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment